Welcome to CAMRA West Kent
This website is for CAMRA members that have an interest in the West Kent Branch. The branch area includes the towns of Edenbridge, Sevenoaks, Tonbridge, Tunbridge Wells and Westerham.
The easiest way to help CAMRA West Kent?
The number 1, easiest, but most important thing that CAMRA members can do to help any branch is to enter pub and beer scores via WhatPub. If you enter scores for pubs that you try they will get fed back to the relevant branch, and will be used for deciding which pubs go in the Good Beer Guide. The menu on the left contains a guide to Beer Scoring, or follow the WhatPub link above to go direct.
Volunteers Needed – Can You Help 21st-23rd October?
SPA Valley Railway Beer & Cider Festival
Planning for the 6th Spa Valley Railway/CAMRA West Kent Beer Festival and Diesel Gala is underway, we need volunteers and people to attend!! 120 beers, 30 ciders, Eridge & Groombridge bars open all sessions this year, more space at Tunbridge Wells, advance train tickets now include a free pint, evening trains after 6pm price reduced to £5, steam trains also run on Sunday, foreign bottled beer bar, about 20 of the ales will be green-hopped beers, key-keg bar at TW run by Fuggles, live entertainment, Morris dancing, BBQ, tasteful new souvenir glass, etc.
Please put this in your diaries, we will soon be asking for volunteers to help staff the festival.
The Bull Inn, Brenchley – planning application submitted for reconfiguration into a mixed-use holiday let and A4 use. Application No. 16/503337/LBC refers if you wish to object via the TWBC planning portal.http://pa.midkent.gov.uk/online-applications/
The Kings Head, Five Oak Green – planning application submitted for demolition and erection of dwellings. Application No. 16/503082/FULL refers if you wish to object via the TWBC planning portal.
The Red Lion at Snargate, well outside our branch but a favourite of Kent drinkers. The sad news is that Doris Jemson, venerable landlady of the pub passed away on Sunday morning (24th). The pub is closed for the time being.
The Oak Tree, Sevenoaks is closing and may be under threat
The Crystal Palace, Tunbridge Wells is closed and boarded up
The Pantiles Tap has been voted West Kent CAMRA Cider Pub of the Year (COTY).
Keith Ennis (WKCAMRA cider boffin, click his name for his twitter account) presenting the certificate
CAMRA West Kent Facebook
Next Branch Socials / Business Meetings
- 25th Branch Business Meeting, Chequers, 73 High St, Sevenoaks, 7.30 followed by Social – Hartley Morris Men dancing at the Anchor, 32 London Rd, Sevenoaks from 9.15
- 28th Walk and Social, Kentish Rifleman Beer Festival, Dunk’s Green. Bus 77, noon, from Tunbridge Wells to Hadlow
- Sat 10th Sept, 12.30pm, Social, Old Eden, 121 High St, Edenbridge, then King & Queen. 11.40am bus 231 from Tunbridge Wells. Option of stopping off on return journey at Four Elms or Bough Beech.
- Thurs 15th
- Sept, Crawl, start Sankey’s, 39 Mt Ephraim, Tunbridge Wells. Then the Beau Nash and the George.
- Sat 24th Sept, noon onwards, Joint-branch social with N Sussex & MMK in Maidstone. Start at the Rifle Volunteers, 28 Wyatt St, Maidstone. Option of travel by number 6 or 7(via Tonbridge) bus from Tunbridge Wells or the train to Maidstone stations from Tonbridge. Pubs to be visited according to Peter Spooner’s plan.
Events, Beer Festivals, etc.
- 26th – 27th Aug – Orpington Liberal Club Summer Beer Festival www.orpingtonliberalclub.co.uk
- 26th – 28th Aug – Abergavenny Arms, Frant Beer Festival, 12 guest ales, live music all weekend, hog roast, 11-11 (12-11 Sun)
- 26th – 29th Aug – Halfway House, Brenchley Beer Festival as usual, 60 beers all at £3.20 a pint, live music, food served, hog roast, always one of the best festivals, to which some of us will be going on Saturday
- 27th – 28th Aug – Kentish Rifleman, Dunk’s Green Inaugural Beer & Music Festival PLEASE NOTE CORRECTED DATES
- 3rd Sept – East Malling Beer & Cider Festival, East Malling Research Centre, ME19 6BJ, 11-7pm, run by Maidstone & Mid Kent CAMRA branch, 75+ ales and ciders, live music, CAMRA members free admission, £5 otherwise, free shuttle bus every 30 mins from 10.29 at Aylesford station and 10.35 at West Malling station
- 3rd Sept – Royal Oak, Crockham Hill Mini Beer & Music Festival from 3pm
- 3rd Sept – CAMRA Revitalisation Project Meeting, 1-3pm at the Star Inn, 2 Quarry Street, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 3TY
- 3rd – 4th Sept – Faversham Hop Festival with CAMRA street bar in East Street
- 10th Sept – Pig & Porter Brewery Open Day, 18H Chapman Way, Tunbridge Wells, TN2 3EF 01892 615 071 email@example.com. Brewery tours at 11.30am and 3pm, background music from Jacqui and her saxophone, 4 or 5 beers on draft, growler fills/bottle takeaways, no food but picnics welcome. Less than five minute walk from High Brooms station
- 10th – 11th Sept – Kent Life’s Hops ‘n’ Harvest Beer Festival, Lock Lane, Sandling, nr. Maidstone
- 22nd Sept – 2nd Oct – Cask Ale Week
- 23rd Sept – 9th Oct – Kent Green Hop Fortnight, launching at Canterbury Food & Drink Fayre (23rd – 25th Sept) with a beer tent serving many Kent green hopped ales (tip take your own glass as they’re served in plastic ones otherwise). It’s a great day out as the F&D Fayre is free and fun
- 24th Sept – CAMRA Revitalisation Project Meeting, 12.30-2.30pm at the Aeronaut, 264 Acton High Street, London W3 9BH
- 12th – 16th Oct – Bexley Cider Trail at The Hackney Carriage Micro Pub, The Broken Drum, The Door Hinge and The Penny Farthing, Crayford for 20 real apple ciders
- 21st – 23rd Oct – Spa Valley Railway/CAMRA West Kent Beer Festival and Diesel Gala, 120 beers, 30 ciders, Eridge & Groombridge bars open all sessions this year, more space at Tunbridge Wells, advance train tickets now include a free pint, evening trains after 6pm price reduced to £5, steam trains also run on Sunday, foreign bottled beer bar, about 20 of the ales will be green-hopped beers, key-keg bar at TW run by Fuggles, live entertainment, Morris dancing, BBQ, tasteful new souvenir glass, etc.
- 28th – 29th Oct – Swale CAMRA Beer Festival, Kemsley Community Centre, Square, Ridham Avenue, Kemsley, Sittingbourne, ME10 2SF www.camra-swale.org.uk
Kent CAMRA Website goes live
Kent CAMRA has launched it own website, rhis gives extra info on the Kent area and includes information on cider and brewery’s. It also provides links to all the local CAMRA websites
New CAMRA members site launched
Protecting your local pub by nominating them as Assets of Community Value
Through the Localism Act, the Government has introduced new powers for communities in England to nominate valued facilities such as pubs as “assets of community value”. Where pubs are listed this enables communities to “stop the clock” for up to six months if they’re put up for sale to consider options for saving the pub. With 18 pubs closing every week we need CAMRA members and branches to get involved in listing pubs before more of them are lost. So far two pubs in the branch have received this protection (both called the Royal Oak, one in Tunbridge Wells, one in Pembury). For a more in depth explanation of the what, why, and where please follow this LINK, which also contains an information leaflet.